The Freedom of Expression division of NCA promotes the research and study of the understanding of free expression and the First Amendment. The division provides an academic home for legal, ethical, rhetorical, historical, and other approaches to the study and application of free expression in society. The division welcomes investigation, analysis and dialogue among communication scholars concerned with issues pertaining to free expression.
The division acknowledges achievements in scholarly excellence by awarding the Robert M. O’Neill top paper award as well as the top student paper. The division collaborates with and advocates for the Journal of First Amendment Studies, a peer-reviewed, NCA journal that publishes original essays which make a significant contribution to theory and/or policy on all aspects of free speech. If you would like to join the Freedom of Expression listserv for announcements, discussion and collaboration, please contact any of our division officers below.
Visit the division's Facebook page
- Chair: Billie Murray, Villanova University
- Vice Chair: Elizabeth Thorpe, State University of New York Brockport
- Vice Chair-Elect: Benjamin Medeiros, State University of New York, Plattsburgh
- Immediate Past Chair: Kevin Johnson, California State University, Long Beach
- Secretary: Mary Hyepock
2023 NCA Positions
- Legislative Assembly
- Billie Murray, Villanova University
- Benjamin Medeiros, State University of New York, Plattsburgh
- Nominating Committee
- illie Murray, Villanova University
FED Membership (2013-2023)
*Official count taken each January.
109th Annual Convention -- National Harbor, MD -- November 16 - 19, 2023.
- FED Call -- Deadline: Thursday, March 29, 2023 at 11:59 PM Pacific.
Business Meeting Minutes
Interest Group Election