The National Communication Association advances Communication as the discipline that studies all forms, modes, media, and consequences of communication through humanistic, social scientific, and aesthetic inquiry.
NCA serves the scholars, teachers, and practitioners who are its members by enabling and supporting their professional interests in research and teaching. Dedicated to fostering and promoting free and ethical communication, NCA promotes the widespread appreciation of the importance of communication in public and private life, the application of competent communication to improve the quality of human life and relationships, and the use of knowledge about communication to solve human problems. NCA supports inclusiveness and diversity among our faculties, within our membership, in the workplace, and in the classroom; NCA supports and promotes policies that fairly encourage this diversity and inclusion.
NCA’s leadership includes a President who is elected each year by the membership, and who works in conjunction with a Legislative Assembly and its Executive Committee.
To learn more about just a few of NCA’s direct member services and public engagement initiatives, click on the links below.
- NCA publishes 11 academic journals that provide the latest research in the discipline and showcase diverse perspectives on a range of scholarly topics. All NCA members are provided with access to the current and archived electronic issues of the journals.
- NCA provides its members with a wealth of data about the Communication discipline.
- In addition to the NCA Annual Convention, which attracts more than 5,000 attendees each year, NCA hosts programs and other meetings that provide professional development opportunities for Communication scholars and advance the broader discipline.
- NCA’s Career Center helps scholars meet the challenges of pursuing and securing academic positions in Communication, and is a go-to source for institutions who are posting openings and scholars who are pursuing new opportunities.
- NCA organizes programs that serve to engage public audiences with current and emerging communication topics.
- NCA provides Communication scholars with access to a wealth of teaching and learning tools and expertise.
- NCA helps disseminate Communication scholarship broadly through regular media outreach, and a robust social media presence.
- NCA advocates for public policy that supports the professional efforts of Communication scholars.
NCA's National Office is located in the nation’s capital at 1765 N Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036. Contact NCA by calling 202-464-4622 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.