Affiliate organizations are separate, autonomous organizations that partner with NCA. Typically the affiliate will have a shared mission related to Communication pedagogy or scholarship.
Affiliation generates mutual benefits, including shared knowledge, expanded networks, greater promotion of the shared mission, and expanded opportunities for dialogue and collaboration. Overall, the spirit of affiliation involves the pursuit and celebration of knowledge, study, praxis, professionalism, creativity, and service related to the larger Communication discipline.
Criteria for an Affiliate Organization
The following are criteria to qualify to be an affiliate of NCA:
- The organization must have a scholarly and professional interest in the Communication discipline.
- The organization must be an independent, legally incorporated nonprofit organization with a formal organizational structure, an identifiable membership, and a commitment to maintaining connections among Communication scholars, teachers, and/or researchers. Any organization seeking affiliation must have been in existence a minimum of three years prior to application.
- There must be clear evidence that the organization monitors, protects, and ensures high quality in both the means and the products of its communications with its members.
- Evidence must be given that affiliation will benefit both the affiliated society and NCA by establishing a partnership.
- NCA will not consider for affiliation any organization that discriminates on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, ideology, political affiliation, age, disability, or marital status.
Current Affiliates of NCA
- American Debate Association
- American Forensic Association
- American Society for the History of Rhetoric
- Association for Business Communication
- Association for Chinese Communication Studies
- Association for Communication Administration
- Association for the Rhetoric of Science, Technology, and Medicine
- Central States Communication Association
- Chinese Communication Association
- Cross Examination Debate Association
- Eastern Communication Association
- Eurasian Communication Association of North America (formerly North American Russian Communication Association)
- International Forensics Association
- International Listening Association
- Japan-U.S. Communication Association
- Kenneth Burke Society
- Korean-American Communication Association
- Media Ecology Association
- National Federation of High School Speech, Debate, & Theatre Association (registered as National Federation of State High School Associations)
- National Forensic Association
- National States Advisory Council
- New York State Communication Association
- Partnership for Progress on the Digital Divide
- Phi Rho Pi
- Pi Kappa Delta
- Religious Communication Association
- Rhetoric Society of America
- Russian Communication Association (registered as MetaCommunication)
- Southern States Communication Association
- Urban Communication Foundation
- Western States Communication Association