The Basic Course Division of NCA promotes the teaching, study, research, assessment, and administration of communication in basic course settings. Focusing on teaching fundamental communication skills and theory to undergraduate students, the division is concerned with a broad spectrum of issues relevant to the maintenance and development of quality basic courses to benefit students, scholars, and the discipline. The division emphasizes both qualitative and quantitative approaches to scholarly work in basic course teaching and administration. To subscribe to the Basic Course Division listserv, send an email to Sam Wallace at email@example.com and ask to be placed on the basic course list-serv.
Visit the division's Facebook page
2023 Interest Group Leadership
- Chair: Jessica Welch, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Vice Chair: Nick Tatum, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Vice Chair-Elect: Kara Burnett, Sinclair Community College
- Immediate Past Chair: Stevie Munz, Utah Valley University
- Secretary: Wanlin Chang, University of Texas, Rio Grande Valley
2023 NCA Positions
- Legislative Assembly
- Stevie Munz, Utah Valley University
- Jessica Welch, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- NCA Nominating Committee
- Josh Young, Divine Word College Seminary
BCD Membership (2013-2023)
*Official membership count is taken every January.
109th Annual Convention -- National Harbor, MD -- November 16 - 19, 2023.
- BCD Call -- Deadline: Thursday, March 29, 2023 at 11:59 PM Pacific.
- Distinguished Article Award- due by Monday, August 1, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. (Pacific)
- Don Yoder Distinguished Faculty Award- due by Monday, August 1, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. (Pacific)
- Program of Excellence Award- due by Monday, August 1, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. (Pacific)
- Textbook of Distinction Award- due by Monday, August 1, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. (Pacific)
Business Meeting Minutes
Interest Group Election