The Activism and Social Justice Division promotes scholarship (research and teaching) that explores relationships among communication, activism, and social justice. Activism and social justice scholarship ranges from explorations of researcher-activists and teacher-activists employing their communication resources (e.g., theories, methods, pedagogies, and other practices) in collaboration with community members whose lives are affected by oppression, domination, discrimination, and other sociopolitical struggles due to differences in race, gender, class, sexual orientation, age, ability, religion, and other identity markers, and/or with justice-oriented groups, organizations, and social movements to intervene into and reconstruct unjust discourses in more just ways, to analyses of communication enacted by activist individuals, groups, and/or organizations to promote social justice. The division welcomes conceptual, theoretical, methodological, empirical, and exploratory/experimental work about, and encourages dialogue, discussion, debate, and performance of, communication, activism, and social justice.
- Chair: David L. Palmer, University of Northern Colorado
- Vice Chair: Billie Murray, Villanova University
- Vice Chair-Elect: Amy Aldridge Sanford, Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi
- Immediate Past Chair: Patricia Parker, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Secretary: Jasmine Austin, Texas State University
- David L. Palmer
- Billie Murray
- Amy Aldridge Sanford
Graduate Student Committee Purpose and Leadership
The purpose of the ASJD Graduate Student Committee (GSC) is to serve as a collaborative network for graduate students; to support grad students in advocacy for social justice through teaching, research, and service; and to facilitate connections between grad students and practitioners in their associated fields of study as well as between grad students and faculty within the Division.
- • Chair: Alex Rister, University of Central Florida
- • Vice-Chair: Sohana Nasrin, University of Maryland, College Park
- • Communication Coordinator: Katie Webber, University of Connecticut
107th Annual Convention -- Seattle, Washington -- November 18-21, 2021
- ASJD Call -- Deadline March 31, 11:59 p.m. PST.
- ASJD Award Call – Deadline April 15th 2021!
Business Meeting Minutes
Business Meeting Agendas
Interest Group Election