2012 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Richard A. Cherwitz, University of Texas
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- No award given
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- Robert G. Leonard, Sinclair College
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- David Zarefsky
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship or Distinguished Service in Family Communication
- Paul Schrodt, Texas Christian University
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- John Louis Lucaites, "Visualizing 'The People': Individualism vs. Collectivism in Let Us Now Praise Famous Men." Quarterly Journal of Speech 83 (1997): 269-288.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- John Daly, Advocacy: Championing Ideas and Influencing Others (Yale University Press, 2011)
- Kate Kenski, Bruce Hardy, & Kathleen Hall Jamieson, The Obama Victory: How Media, Money, and Message Shaped the 2008 Election (Oxford University Press, 2010).
Donald P. Cushman Memorial Award
- David Askay, University of North Carolina-Charlotte, "Silence in the Crowd: The Spiral of Silence Contributing to the Positive Bias of Opinions in an Online Review System"
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Sonja K. Foss
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Leslie J. Reynard, "The Fire-Eaters Surrender to General Sherman: Savannah Newspapers 1864-65," Free Speech Yearbook 45 (2011): 111-130
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Howard Giles
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Christy Ledford, George Mason University. "Improving Patient Outcomes through Physician Communication: Message Frame and Presentation Mode Influence on the Walking Behavior of Type 2 Diabetics," (Gary Kreps, advisor).
- Thomas R. Dunn, University of Pittsburgh. "Queerly Remembered: Tactical and Strategic Rhetorics for Representing the GLBQT Past," (Lester Olson, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Samuel McCormick, Letters to Power: Public Advocacy without Public Intellectuals (The Pennsylvania State University Press, 2011).
James L. Golden Outstanding Student Essay in Rhetoric Award
- Tiara Foster, Syracuse University
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Dave Tell
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Karen S. Mitchell
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Ragan Fox
Mark L. Knapp Award in Interpersonal Communication
- Mary Anne Fitzpatrick
Stephen E. Lucas Debut Publication Award
- Christine J. Gardner, Making Chastity Sexy (University of California Press, 2011).
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Ronald L. Jackson II
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Linda L. Putnam