Louisiana State University, Department of Communication Studies
The Department of Communication Studies at Louisiana State University has a long and rich tradition. Established in 1928, it is one of the oldest communication departments in the nation, and in the South, it was the first to develop a doctoral program. Situated in a research intensive university, the department and its faculty strive to foster the intellectual growth of each student while also attending to their development in the areas of teaching and service. Our main goal is to prepare graduate students for success in their chosen profession, academic or otherwise, in an environment that is innovative, stimulating, friendly, and humane.
- Interpersonal/Small Group Communication
- Performance Studies
NRC Assessment of Research-Doctorate Programs
- #62 of 83 programs in Research Output
- #48 of 83 programs in Diversity
Allen, et al., 2012
- #43 of 60 programs by Number of Citations
- Top Ten Research Program in 12 of 99 Research Areas
- An online application form.
- An application fee (and any applicable late fee).
- GRE scores. The institution code for the LSU Graduate School is 6373.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international applicants.
- One official transcript from every college or university you have attended.
- Three letters of recommendation written by active professors.
- A sample of scholarly writing – e.g., a thesis chapter or term paper.
- Professor Renee Edwards, Ph.D., Florida State University
- Assistant Professor Serap Erincin, Ph.D., New York University
- Professor James M. Honeycutt, Ph.D., University of Illinois
- Associate Professor Stephanie Houston Grey, Ph.D., Indiana University
- Assistant Professor Ashley Noel Mack, Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
- Assistant Professor Bryan J. McCann, Ph.D., University of Texas
- Professor Loretta Pecchioni, Ph.D., University of Oklahoma
- Assistant Professor William Saas, Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University
- Associate Professor Tracy Stephenson Shaffer, Ph.D., Southern Illinois University
- Associate Professor Patricia A. Suchy, Ph.D., Northwestern University
- Assistant Professor David Terry, Ph.D., University of North Carolina
NCA Awards Received by Faculty and Students, 2000-present
- Coger Award for Distinguished Performance, 2015
- Wallace Memorial Award, 2017