Bowling Green State University, School of Media and Communication
The graduate program of the School of Media and Communication at Bowling Green State University is known for its excellent placement records; its balance in teaching, research, and service; and the diversity of its student body. The key commitment of the SMC faculty is to motivate and educate students to be independent intellectual leaders and professionals.
- Global Communication and Social Change
- Interpersonal Communication
- Media Audiences & Processes
NRC Assessment of Research-Doctorate Programs
- #45 of 83 programs in Research Output
- #7 of 83 programs in Diversity
Allen, et al., 2012
- #42 of 60 programs in Number of Citations
- Top Ten Research Program in 13 of 99 Research Areas
- A graduate of an accredited master's program with a 3.2 GPA.
- GRE scores must indicate potential for success in the program.
- International students must also submit TOEFL scores, with a TOEFL score of 600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based).
- In addition, the faculty pay special attention to evidence that indicates that candidates can meet the challenge of a rigorous research degree program.
- Associate Professor Joshua Atkinson, Ph.D., University of Missouri
- Associate Professor Katherine Bradshaw, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Associate Professor Rick Busselle, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Associate Professor Catherine Cassara, Ph.D. Michigan State University
- Professor Lynda Dixon, Ph.D., University of Oklahoma
- Assistant Professor John Dowd, Ph.D., Purdue University
- Professor Sandra Faulkner, Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University
- Professor Jim Foust, Ph.D., Ohio University
- Professor Radhika Gajjala, Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh
- Professor Alberto Gonzalez, Ph.D. Ohio State University
- Associate Professor Ellen Gorsevski, Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University
- Professor Louisa Ha, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Professor Lisa Hanasono, Ph.D., Purdue University
- Assistant Professor Ilyoung Ju, Ph.D., University of Florida
- Professor Lara Lengel, Ph.D., Ohio University
- Assistant Professor Yanqin Lu, Ph.D., Indiana University
- Associate Professor Kate Magsamen-Conrad, Ph.D., Rutgers University
- Professor Thomas Mascaro, Ph.D., Wayne State University
- Professor Srinivas Melkote, Ph.D., University of Iowa
- Professor Terry Rentner, Ph.D., Bowling Green State University
- Associate Professor Clayton Rosati, Ph.D. Syracuse University
- Assistant Professor Saif Shahin, Ph.D., University of Texas
- Associate Professor Ewart Skinner, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Professor Laura Stafford, Ph.D., University of Texas
NCA Awards Received by Faculty and Students, 2000-present
- Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Family Communication, 2016