Arizona State University, Hugh Downs School of Human Communication
Since 2005, Arizona State University’s Downs School of Human Communication has awarded scores of doctoral degrees. In addition to the traditional teaching and research areas, ASU’s faculty has developed transdiciplinary strategic initiatives to address the most pressing global communication issues of our time, including: Health Communication, Conflict Transformation, Project for Wellness and Work-Life, Strategic Communication, and Innovative Inquiry.
Areas of Study
- Intercultural Communication
- Interpersonal Communication
- Organizational Communication
- Performance Studies
- Rhetoric & Public Communication
QS World University Rankings—Communication & Media Studies
- #101-150 of 200 World Universities
URAP University Rankings—Language, Communication & Culture
- #35 of 300 World Universities
- A completed Graduate College application and official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- A formal curriculum vitae.
- A statement of career goals and the relevance of this degree program to those goals.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (verbal, quantitative, analytical) taken within the past five years, plus other relevant test data volunteered by the applicant.
- Three letters of recommendation prepared within the preceding 12 months.
- A sample of writing (e.g., master's thesis, course paper).
- A minimum score of 83 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for international applicants.
- An application for graduate research/teaching assistantship if you would like to be considered for funding.
- Assistant Professor Bradley Adame, Ph.D., University of Oklahoma
- Assistant Professor Elissa Adame, Ph.D., University of Oklahoma
- President’s Professor Janet K. Alberts, Ph.D., University of Texas
- Professor Benjamin J. Broome, Ph.D., University of Kansas
- Associate Professor Daniel C. Brouwer, Ph.D., Northwestern University
- Professor Adina Carlson, Ph.D., University of Southern California
- Assistant Professor Stephen Carradini, Ph.D., North Carolina State University
- Professor Pauline Cheong, Ph.D., University of Southern California
- Professor Frederick Corey, Ph.D., University of Arizona
- Professor Steven R. Corman, Ph.D., University of Illinois
- Associate Professor Marivel Danielson, Ph.D., University of Michigan
- Professor Olga I. Davis, Ph.D., University of Nebraska
- Associate Professor Amira de la Garza, Ph.D., University of Texas
- Assistant Professor Uttaran Dutta, Ph.D., Purdue University
- Regents Professor David William Foster, Ph.D., University of Washington
- Professor Laura Guerrero, Ph.D., University of Arizona
- Assistant Professor Mark Hannah, Ph.D., Purdue University
- Assistant Professor Aaron Hess, Ph.D., Arizona State University
- Professor Nancy Jurik, Ph.D., University of California, Santa Barbara
- Professor Jeffrey W. Kassing, Ph.D., Kent State University
- Assistant Professor Heewon Kim, Ph.D., Rutgers University
- Assistant Professor Kyounghee Kwon, Ph.D., SUNY-Buffalo
- Professor and Director Linda C. Lederman, Ph.D., Rutgers University
- Assistant Professor Benjamin LeMaster, Ph.D., Southern Illinois University
- Associate Professor Jacqueline M. Martinez, Ph.D., Southern Illinois University
- Assistant Professor Lindsey Mean, Ph.D., University of Sheffield
- Associate Professor Keith D. Miller, Ph.D., Texas Christian University
- Professor Paul A. Mongeau, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Professor Majia Nadesan, Ph.D., Purdue University
- Assistant Professor Jonathan Pettigrew, Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University
- Associate Professor Ashley K. Randall, Ph.D., University of Arizona
- Professor Tony Roberto, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Professor Duane H. Roen, Ph.D., University of Minnesota
- Professor Mary Romero, Ph.D., University of Colorado
- Associate Professor Thomas Seager, Ph.D., Clarkson University
- Assistant Professor YoungJu Shin, Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University
- Professor Sarah J. Tracy, Ph.D., University of Colorado
- Professor Vincent Waldron, Ph.D., Ohio State University
- Professor Greg Wise, Ph.D., University of Illinois
- Assistant Professor Alaina Zanin, Ph.D., University of Oklahoma
NCA Awards to Faculty and Students, 2000-present
- Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Family Communication, 2010
- Woolbert Research Award, 2011
- Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2013