NCA 100th Annual Convention
A selection of sessions was chosen to be recorded at the NCA 100th Annual Convention. They were chosen because of their exceptional content that spoke directly to celebrating NCA’s Centennial. Change was a unifying thread among several sessions. They tackled the discipline’s role in effecting change; the evolution of diversity, socio-political, and demographic representations within the association/discipline; a discussion of Herman Cohen and his contributions to the discipline; an examination of interdisciplinary boundaries; and the history, growth, and future of political communication. All offered insight and expectations of where the association and discipline were headed in the next century.
- Political Communication: Our Past(s), Our Present(s)
- Communication Activism: The Presence of Our Future(s)
- A Lasting Legacy: Dr. Herman Cohen's Lifetime of Influence in the History of Speech Communication
- Communication's Intellectual Boundaries with Related Disciplines
- Looking in the Mirror: Reflections on Diversity in NCA
- 1968-1977, The Decade that Changed the Face of the NCA
The videotaping and online archive resources above were made possible by McGraw-Hill Education.
NCA 95th Annual Convention
The NCA 95th Annual Convention was "five years out" from NCA’s 100th Anniversary in 2014. Moving toward the Centennial of NCA presented us with opportunities to consider the past, present, and future of our association and discipline. NCA communities (divisions, sections, and caucuses) and affiliated organizations planned special Five-Years-Out sessions. These sessions addressed five questions:
- What is the historical development of your Knowledge Community or affiliated organization in the discipline and at NCA?
- What are the major themes and contributions of your Knowledge Community or affiliated organization over its history? What is the state of the art?
- Where is your Knowledge Community or affiliated organization headed? What do you want to accomplish by NCA’s Centennial?
- What are the greatest resources you bring to the discipline and what are the challenges to meeting your goals?
- What are your greatest contributions to communities inside and outside of the academy? Where does and where can your Knowledge Community or affiliated organization make a difference?
Videotaping and online archive resources were made possible by Routledge, Taylor & Francis:
Five Years Out Sessions
- Settling in Time of Change: On “Five Years Out” in Culture and Communication
- Organizational Communication Five Years Out
- What Distinguishes/Ought to Distinguish Feminist Scholarship in Communication Studies? Revisiting the Questions Twenty-one Years Later.
- Five Years Out: Understanding McLuhan
- Five Years Out: Past Presidents Reflect and Respond
- Five Years Out: Engaging the Future of Training and Development
- Five Years Out: The Legacy of Family Communication
- Five Years Out: Discourses of Stability and Change in Group Communication
- Five Years Out for the American Society for the History of Rhetoric
- Stability and Change in Public Address Research
- Applied Communication Five-Years-Out Panel
- Communication as Social Construction Five Years Out: A Critical Review of the Theoretical and Practical Impact of Social Construction on Communication Studies
- Elementary and Secondary Education Section - Five Years Out
- A Dozen Or So Years In and Five Years Out: The Critical and Cultural Studies Division and the National Communication Association
- Five-Years-Out Basic Course Division Spotlight Panel
- Communication Apprehension and Competence Five-Years-Out Panel: Ties that Bind and Tensions that Create Growth
- Legacy, Change, and Perpetuity: Taking Stock and Looking Ahead in Communication Teaching, Training, Mentoring, and Programmatic Innovation
- Five Years Out in the Instructional Development Division: It's Always Something!
- Mass Communication Five Years Out: Examining the Past, Present, and Future of Mass Communication Pedagogy
- The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Communication: Stability and Change from Our Early Beginnings to Five Years Out
- Reflections, Ideas and Future Movement- Theatre Division-Five Years Out
- Our Foundation and Our Future: Communication Ethics Division Contributions and Challenges in this Time of Change
- Anticipating the Anniversary: The Communication and Law Division Addresses its Evolution Five Years Out
- Five Years Out: The Women's Caucus Leadership Reflects on its Past, Present and Future.
- Interpersonal Communication Five Years Out: Examining the Past, Present, and Future of Interpersonal Communication Research
- The State of Health Communication: Stability, Change, and Progress
- Five Years Out Panel for Performance Studies
- Five Years Out: Exploring the Future of Human Communication and Technology
- Environmental Communication: Twelve Years in and Five Years Out
- What Will Your Life be Like in Five Years?: Without Freedom of Expression it May Not Matter
- Service-Learning in Communication: The Impact of a Decade’s Work and Agenda for Five Years Out
- Five-Years-Out Panel on the History (and Future) of the Caucus on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Concerns