The NCA Executive Committee (EC) of the Legislative Assembly (LA) approved the formation of a Membership Task Force on August 5. The call is now open for NCA member volunteers interested in serving on the Task Force.
The National Office has charged the Task Force with the responsibility for assessing, recommending, and advising on issues related to NCA membership recruitment and retention activities and supporting NCA in all membership efforts outlined in the strategic plan.
In collaboration with the National Office staff, the members of the Task Force will conduct environmental scanning, issues spotting, and policy development in the following key areas:
- The future of NCA’s membership.
- NCA’s current dues structure and provide recommendations for an improved model.
- Key areas of focus for membership growth and retention.
- New and existing member benefits and their value to NCA members.
- Increased member participation in Interest Groups.
- Early Career Professional pathways for students.
The Association seeks NCA members to fill at least seven and no more than eleven at-large positions on the Task Force. The chair will be selected from among the Task Force members.
The Task Force will include members who represent the following NCA communities:
- Undergraduate Student
- Graduate Student
- Early Career or postdoc
- Adjunct Faculty
- Community College Faculty
- Tenure-Track/Tenured Faculty
- Non-Tenure Track Faculty
- K-12 Educator
- Retired/Life Member
- NCA Donor
When the Task Force concludes its work, it is expected to provide the EC with a report that includes a summary of meetings held, information gathered, and detailed recommendations—immediate, near-future, and long-term.
As with all Task Force reports, there is no guarantee that these recommendations will be adopted in whole or in part. Still, there is a guarantee that the National Office, the EC, and, as relevant, the LA will carefully consider all related proposals that align with the Association’s strategic plan goals and are fiscally responsible.
The Membership Task Force will begin work by December 2023 and conclude by October 2024. In addition, Task Force members will be expected to participate in the 2024 Leadership Retreat, currently scheduled for January 19-20. The location is TBD, but travel, lodging, and per diem will be provided per NCA policy. Otherwise, the Task Force will have virtual monthly meetings, with additional meetings scheduled as needed. Task Force members must spend 1-2 hours preparing for each session.
The deadline to submit applications is November 1, 2023. The application must include:
- Title or Role (check all that apply--Undergraduate Student, Graduate Student, Early Career or postdoc, Adjunct Faculty, Community College Faculty, Tenure-Track/Tenured Faculty, Practitioner, K-12 Educator, Retired/Life Member, NCA Donor.)
- A cover letter, up to one page, explaining why you would make a good fit for this Task Force (including any service experience with NCA, although past NCA service is not required). Please include your interest in serving as Task Force Chair (or co-chair).
Please click on the link below to submit your application. You must login to your NCA membership account.