Proposals are being solicited that promote scholarship and teaching of Communication Studies to benefit emerging democracies and their peoples. Any activity which contributes to this goal is potentially eligible for funding. Such activities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- International travel for residents of emerging democracies to attend conferences or advanced training in Communication Studies
- International travel for U.S. residents to disseminate Communication scholarship or to conduct training in Communication Studies in emerging democracies
- Procuring and disseminating scholarly and instructional materials in Communication Studies for use by institutions within emerging democracies
- Research about various topics in Communication conducted by residents of emerging democracies who would otherwise lack adequate support for such research
- Research about communication phenomena in emerging democracies, which may be conducted by U.S. scholars or by others, and which promises to directly or indirectly promote effective communication practices
The amount of the Leathers Award varies from year to year; it recently has been between $500-$600.
Submission deadline is September 1, 2023.