1992 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Donald P. Cushman, State University of New York, Albany
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Thomas Kaye
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Carroll C. Arnold
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- G. Thomas Goodnight, “The Personal, Technical, and Public Spheres of Argument.” Journal of the American Forensics Association 18 (1982): 214-227.
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Jane Blankenship
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Paul Siegel, “Masson v. New Yorker: Journalists Look at their Own Craft,” Free Speech Yearbook 30 (1992): 56-73..
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Stephen D. O'Leary, Northwestern University. “Reading the Signs of the Times: A Topical and Dramatistic Analysis of the Logic of Apocalyptic Advocacy,” (G. Thomas Goodnight, advisor).
- Becky L. Omdahl, University of Wisconsin. “Exploration of Cognitive Appraisal Approaches to Emotion as a Basis for Decoding Accuracy and Empathy,” (Joseph Cappella, advisor).
- James T. West, University of Utah. “Discursive Practices and Relations of Power: A Qualitative Study of Intimate Violence,” (Leonard Hawes, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Lester C. Olson, Emblems of American Community in the Revolutionary Era: A Study in Rhetorical Iconology (Smithsonian Institution Press, 1991).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Kathryn M. Olson
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Dwight Conquergood
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Wilmer Linkugel
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Malcolm O. Sillars