CIDD British Debate Tour Announces Fall 2018 Schedule
This fall, NCA’s Committee on International Discussion and Debate (CIDD) is celebrating the 90th anniversary of British women on the tour. The 1928 British Women’s Debate Tour took place from November to December of that year, stopping at host institutions such as George Washington University, Bates College, and the University of Kentucky. The most popular debate resolutions on that first tour were:
- Resolved, that the popular reading of psychology is undermining morality.
- Resolved, that democratic government appeals to prejudice rather than to reason.
- Resolved, that the disadvantages of coeducation outweigh the advantages.
The 2018 fall tour will begin on September 30 and end at the NCA 104th Annual Convention in November. Two debaters from the United Kingdom will make 19 stops around the country to engage with U.S. students in debates on an array of topics. The UK debaters include:
Méabh McMahon Flanagan has a Master’s degree in International Security Studies from the University of St. Andrews, and a First-Class Honours undergraduate degree in History and English from University College Cork. Méabh is also qualified in Conflict Mediation, having worked on the Glencree reconciliation program in Northern Ireland.
She has a long history of competitive debating, including winning the Queen’s University Belfast IV in 2016 as speaker, and she also has vast judging experience, including chairing out-rounds across Europe. Méabh is now moving toward a teaching role within debating and was an Oracy Coach at the ESU’s International Public Speaking Competition in May 2018, and an Oracy Coach again at the ESU Debate Academy in August 2018. Méabh has taught debating to secondary school students through the ESU’s Discover Your Voice program and is highly invested in empowering young people to reach their goals through debating.
Owen Mooney is a recent graduate in economics and economic and social history from the University of Glasgow. Speaking for the Glasgow University Union, he has won the Scottish, British, and European universities debating championships and 15 other competitions across Europe. He has also been the Chief Adjudicator of competitions in the UK, Ireland, the UAE, and Pakistan. Owen is an experienced debating and public speaking coach and has coached political campaigners, school students from a variety of backgrounds, and the GUU competitive debating squad for the past two years. He has also worked on British political campaigns, including during the 2014 Scottish Independence referendum.
Fall 2018 Tour Stops:
- 9/30-10/2: Loyola University, Chicago, IL
- 10/2-10/4: Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
- 10/4-10/7: Oakton Community College, Skokie, IL
- 10/7-10/9: University of Richmond, Richmond, VA
- 10/9-10/10: Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, VA
- 10/10-10/13: Prince George’s Community College, Largo, MD
- 10/13-10/15: Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA
- 10/15-10/17: The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- 10/17-10/19: University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS
- 10/19-10/21: Boyce College, Louisville, KY
- 10/21-10/23: University of North Texas, Denton, TX
- 10/23-10/25: East Central University, Ada, OK
- 10/25-10/27: West Texas A&M University, Canyon, TX
- 10/27-10/30: Webster University, Webster Groves, MO
- 10/30-11/2: Dakota State University, Madison, SD
- 11-2-11/4: New Roads School, Santa Monica, CA
- 11/4-11/6: Pierce College, Woodland Hills, CA
- 11/6-11/8: California State University-Northridge, Northridge, CA
- 11/8-11/10: NCA 104th Annual Convention, Salt Lake City, UT
Please visit the CIDD tour page throughout the season for updates.