Volunteers perform much of the work at the convention and the volunteer program is an opportunity for students to attend the convention at reduced cost. Volunteer registration will open July 22, 2019. In exchange for one complete volunteer shift (shifts range from four to six hours), volunteers will receive a complimentary convention registration* which includes:
- The chance to network with professionals in the field
- The opportunity to learn about the communication discipline
- The ability to attend all convention sessions
- Access to Graduate School Open House
- Access to NCA Career Center
Do NOT register as a volunteer before checking your presentation schedule in the online program. You must complete your volunteer shift on time and in full. Do NOT register for the convention and/or pay a convention registration fee. Your volunteer registration counts as your convention registration.
*Note that complimentary convention registration is offered to volunteers, but this does not include membership with NCA. All volunteers must be student members of NCA, and are required to join/renew their membership if it expires before December 1, 2019. Please join/renew several days prior to registering as a volunteer to allow your membership to process.
This is the hub of activity and where you will see everyone in attendance pass through. We are looking for especially energetic and friendly volunteers.
- Assist attendees with directions and information.
- Collate/stuff convention materials.
- Assist attendees with the check-in process.
- Registration Area volunteers must be able to lift 25 lbs.
The Graduate School Open House offers universities and colleges the opportunity to highlight their programs while allowing prospective students to access a large number of programs at one time. The Career Center offers departments with job openings the opportunity to distribute information about their listings and gives job-seekers the chance to meet with potential applicants. The Center also provides valuable job search and professional development information. Volunteers are there to assist, not attend/participate in the session.
- Check-in the participating departments and help department representatives find and set up their areas.
- Help attendees/applicants find specific booths and answer questions.
A Short Course session is two hours and forty-five minutes long. It is an educational or “how-to” course designed to give attendees skills or knowledge to take back to their institution and implement. There is an additional registration fee to attend a Short Course and Short Courses are held each day of the convention schedule. Short Course ushers assist the instructors as needed. This is a great opportunity if a certain Short Course topic interests you.
- Count and record attendance at each program which must be returned to the appropriate supervisor in the volunteer office.
- Provide directions to those attending the convention and looking for Short Courses.
- Serve as ‘teaching assistants’ for the Short Course instructors
Ushering provides a great opportunity for students to attend programs and observe the convention. Ushers are also very important because they capture session attendance, which helps the National Office and Officers identify opportunities for change and improvement in the program. Ushers will generally be assigned to several rooms on one floor. Teams of ushers will be working at both hotel properties.
- Count and record attendance at each program.
- Direct presenters on how to request assistance if needed.
- Provide directions to those attending the convention.
The Legislative Assembly Aides assist the Governance Manager with the logistics of the Legislative Assembly meetings.
- Monitor delegate sign-in.
- Collect/count ballots.
- Monitor food and beverage offered.
- Collate and distribute meeting materials.
- Take notes.
Exhibit Hall volunteers will be monitoring the Combined Book Exhibit within the Exhibit Hall. This position requires attention to detail. Volunteers are there to assist, not to visit exhibitor booths.
- Monitor the texts in the Combined Book Exhibit.
- Provide order forms for attendees interested in purchasing a book. Volunteers will not be processing purchases.
Access assistants are available to attendees who require assistance to navigate the convention. Convention attendees may require a range of assistance from a sighted guide to mobility assistance. Volunteers need to be able to navigate and traverse the distance between the Salt Palace and the Hilton. Volunteers in this position will regularly be going outside.
- Provide directions, or assistance as needed, to attendees traveling between the two properties.
- Assist attendees with finding specific session rooms.