University of Alabama, College of Communication & Information Sciences
The Office for Graduate Studies of the College of Communication and Information Sciences administers the doctoral degree in communication and information sciences offered by the Department of Communication Studies at the University of Alabama. The doctor of philosophy degree is designed to: prepare communication scholars for positions of leadership in education, public service, the media, and other communication-related fields; add to a student's usable body of knowledge in a chosen area of specialization within the field of communication; develop each student's research, teaching, and professional capabilities; promote scholarly achievement and advancement of knowledge in the field, through basic and applied research.
- None Identified
NRC Assessment of Research-Doctorate Programs
- #24 of 83 programs in Research Output
- #54 of 83 programs in Diversity
Allen, et al., 2012
- #57 of 60 programs by Number of Citations
- Top Ten Research Program in 14 of 99 Research Areas
- An undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher overall (based on a 4.0 system) or a 3.0 or higher average for the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate study, and a graduate-level grade point average of at least 3.0.
- A combined score of 1100 on the verbal and quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Examination and no less than 400 on either the verbal or quantitative portion of the examination.
- Foreign applicants must score at least 600 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) to be considered for admission.
- Assistant Professor Meredith Bagley, Ph.D., University of Texas
- Associate Professor Beth Bennett, Ph.D., University of Iowa
- Associate Professor Robin M. Boylorn, Ph.D., University of South Florida
- Assistant Professor Adam Sharples Brooks, Ph.D., University of Alabama
- Assistant Professor W. Sim Butler, Ph.D., University of Alabama
- Assistant Professor Alexa Stough Chilcutt, Ph.D., University of Alabama
- Professor Robert N. Gaines, Ph.D., University of Iowa
- Assistant Professor Darrin Griffin, Ph.D., University at Buffalo, SUNY
- Assistant Professor Nikita Harris, Ph.D., Howard University
- Assistant Professor Peter Jensen, Ph.D., University of Missouri
- Associate Professor Mary Meares, Ph.D., University of New Mexico
- Associate Professor Carol Mills, Ph.D., Purdue University
- Associate Professor Mark Nelson, Ph.D., University of Alabama
- Assistant Professor Cynthia Peacock, Ph.D., University of Texas
- Assistant Professor Josh Pederson, Ph.D., University of Iowa
- Assistant Professor Lu Tang, Ph.D., University of Southern California