2009 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- James W. Chesebro, Ball State University
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Valerie A. Goff Whitecap
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- David Kosloski, Clark College
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Mary Francis HopKins
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship or Distinguished Service in Family Communication
- John Caughlin, University of Illinois
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Joseph Walther, “Computer Mediated Communication: Impersonal, Interpersonal and Hyperpersonal Interaction.” Communication Research 23 (1996): 3-43.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- Karlyn Kohrs Campbell & Kathleen Hall Jamieson, Presidents Creating the Presidency: Deeds Done in Words. (University of Chicago Press, 2008).
Donald P. Cushman Memorial Award
- Abigail Selzer King, Purdue University, “Drawing Paul Revere as a Klansman: Image, Rhetoric, and Anachronistic Arguments for Legitimacy” & Bryan McCann, Marian University, "Genocide as Representative Anecdote: Crack Cocaine, the CIA, and the Nation of Islam in Gary Webb’s ‘Dark Alliance’”
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Bonnie J. Dow
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Erik Ugland, “Demarcating the Right to Gather News: A Sequential Interpretation of the First Amendment,” Duke Journal of Constitutional Law and Public Policy 3 (2008): 113-189.
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Katherine Miller
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Kevin Coe, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. “Words of War: Presidential Rationales for Military Action from World War II to Iraq,” (Scott Alhaus, advisor).
- Rivka Syd Eisner, University of North Carolina. “Re-Staging Revolution and Remembering Toward Change: National Liberation Front Women Perform Prospective Memory in Vietnam,” (Della Pollock, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Karlyn Kohrs Campbell & Kathleen Hall Jamieson, Presidents Creating the Presidency: Deeds Done in Words (University of Chicago Press, 2008).
James L. Golden Outstanding Student Essay in Rhetoric Award
- Jaclyn Howell, University of Kansas
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Jeffrey Bennett
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Daniel W. Heaton
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Bernadette Marie Calafell
Mark L. Knapp Award in Interpersonal Communication
- Howard Giles
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Wendy Leeds-Hurwitz
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Herbert W. Simons