2008 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- No award given
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Lacye Odam
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- Marla Chisholm, Del Mar College
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Timothy J. Gura
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship or Distinguished Service in Family Communication
- Steven R. Wilson, Purdue University
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Kent Ono & John M. Sloop, “The Critique of Vernacular Discourse.” Communication Monographs 62 (1995): 19-46.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- Robert Hariman & John Louis Lucaites, No Caption Needed: Iconic Photographs, Public Culture and Liberal Democracy. (University of Chicago Press, 2007)
- William M. Keith, Democracy as Discussion: Civic Education and the American Forum Movement. (Lexington Books, 2007).
Donald P. Cushman Memorial Award
- Eric S. Jenkins, University of Georgia, “The Towers of Babble and the Passage of the USA PATRIOT Act.”
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- J. Michael Hogan
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Robert L. Kerr, “Justifying Corporate Speech Regulation Through A Town-Meeting Understanding of the Marketplace of Ideas,” Journalism & Communication Monographs 9 (2007): 57-113.
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Kenneth N. Cissna
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Paul Leonardi, Stanford University. “Organizing Technology: Toward a Theory of Sociomaterial Imbrication,” (Stephen R. Barley, advisor).
- Zornitsa Keremidchieva, University of Minnesota. “The Gendering of Legislative Rationality: Women, Immigrants, and the Nationalization of Citizenship, 1918-1922,” (Karlyn Kohrs Campbell & Jacquelyn Zita, advisors).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Robert Hariman & John Louis Lucaites, No Caption Needed: Iconic Photographs, Public Culture, and Liberal Democracy (University of Chicago Press, 2007).
James L. Golden Outstanding Student Essay in Rhetoric Award
- Francesca Marie Smith, Stanford University
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Bradford Vivian
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Craig Gingrich-Philbrook
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Michael Bowman
Mark L. Knapp Award in Interpersonal Communication
- Charles R. Berger
- Judee K. Burgoon
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- David Seibold
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Judy C. Pearson