2004 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Mark L. Knapp, University of Texas
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Connie J. Link
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- Kay A. Harrison, Ohlone College
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Robert Scott
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship or Distinguished Service in Family Communication
- Anita L. Vangelisti, University of Texas
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Lawrence Grossberg, “Cultural Studies and/in New Worlds,” Critical Studies in Mass Communication 10 (1993) 1-22.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- Cara A. Finnegan, Picturing Poverty: Print Culture and FSA Photographs. (Smithsonian Books, 2003).
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Ronald Carpenter
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Richard A. Parker, Free Speech on Trial: Communication Perspectives on Landmark Supreme Court Decisions (University of Alabama Press, 2003).
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Brent D. Ruben
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Eszter Hargittai, Princeton University. “How Wide a Web? Inequalities in Accessing Information Online,” (Paul DiMaggio, advisor).
- Theodore Striphas, University of North Carolina. “A Constellation of Books: Communication, Technology, and Popular Culture in the Late Age of Print.” (Lawrence Grossberg, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Susan Zaeske, Signatures of Citizenship: Petitioning, Antislavery, and Women’s Political Identity (University of North Carolina Press, 2003).
James L. Golden Outstanding Student Essay in Rhetoric Award
- Cindy Koenig, Northwestern University
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- James P. McDaniel
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Mercilee M. Jenkins
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- E. Patrick Johnson
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Steve Duck
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Judith S. Trent