2002 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- John A. Daly, University of Texas
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Ruth E. Kay
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- Ronald Biddle, Clovis Community College
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Kristin Valentine
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship or Distinguished Service in Family Communication
- Sandra Petronio, Arizona State University
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Joseph B. Walther, “Interpersonal Effects in Computer-Mediated Interaction: A Relational Perspective.” Communication Research 19 (1992): 52-90.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- James Aune, Selling the Free Market. (Guilford Press, 2002).
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Molefi Kete Asante
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Louise Benjamin, Freedom of the Air and the Public Interest: First Amendment Rights in Broadcasting to 1935 (Southern Illinois University Press, 2001).
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Eileen Berlin Ray
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Angela G. Ray, University of Minnesota. “Pupils, Spectators, Citizens: Representations of U.S. Public Culture in the Nineteenth-Century Lyceum,” (Karlyn Kohrs Campbell, advisor).
- Michael William Pfau, Northwestern University, “The Place of Conspiracy: The ‘Slave Power’ in Chase, Sumner and Lincoln,” (David Zarefsky, advisor).
- Toby Arquette, Northwestern University. “Social Discourse, Scientific Method, and the Digital Divide: Using the Information Intelligence Quotient (IIQ) to Generate a Multi-Layered Empirical Analysis of Digital Division,” (James Schwoch, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Stephen Hartnett, Democratic Dissent and the Cultural Fictions of Antebellum America (University of Illinois Press, 2002).
James L. Golden Outstanding Student Essay in Rhetoric Award
- Joel McKim, Concordia University
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Kirt H. Wilson
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Joni Lee Jones
- Patricia S. Pace
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Lisa Merrill
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Kathleen Galvin
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Michael M. Osborn