2001 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Stephen E. Lucas, University of Wisconsin
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Diane Ritzdorf
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- Lori E. Zakel, Sinclair Community College
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Shirley A. Van Hoeven
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship or Distinguished Service in Family Communication
- Brant Burleson, Purdue University
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Raymie E. McKerrow, “Critical Rhetoric: Theory and Praxis.” Communication Monographs 56 (1989): 91-111.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- Michael Hyde, The Call of Conscience: Heidegger and Levinas, Rhetoric and the Euthanasia Debate. (University of South Carolina Press, 2001).
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Barry Brummett
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Ronald L. Jackson II, “So Real Illusions of Black Intellectualism: Exploring Race, Roles, and Gender in the Academy,” Communication Theory 10 (2000): 48-63.
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Michael L. Hecht
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Bernard J. Armada, The Pennsylvania State University. “‘The Fierce Urgency of Now’: Public Memory and Civic Transformation at the National Civil Rights Museum,” (Stephen H. Browne, advisor).
- Claude H. Miller, University of Arizona, “Indignation, Defensive Attribution, and Implicit Theories of Moral Character,” (Michael Burgoon, advisor).
- Sarah J. Tracy, University of Colorado. “Emotion Labor and Correctional Officers: A Study of Emotion Norms, Performances and Unintended Consequences in a Total Institution,” (Stanley A. Deetz, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Gordon Mitchell, Strategic Deception Rhetoric, Science, and Politics in Missile Defense Advocacy (Michigan State University Press, 2000).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Susan Zaeske
- Charles E. Morris III
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Terry Galloway
- Donna Marie Nudd
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Paul Edwards
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- James Chesebro
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- David Zarefsky