1999 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- John R. Johnson, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Robert Stockton
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- Lynn M. Disbrow, Sinclair Community College
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Lawrence W. Rosenfield
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship or Distinguished Service in Family Communication
- No award given
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Robert Hariman, “Status, Marginality, and Rhetorical Theory.” Quarterly Journal of Speech 72 (1986): 38-54.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- Barbie Zelizer, Remembering to Forget: Holocaust Memory Through the Camera’s Eye (University of Chicago Press, 1998)
- Nina Eliasoph, Avoiding Politics: How Americans Produce Apathy in Everyday Life (Cambridge University Press, 1998).
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Michael Leff
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Brian M. O’Connell, “Ethics, Law, and Information Technology: The Transformative Role of Rhetoric.” Social Science Computer Review 16 (1998): 283-92.
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- David R. Seibold
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Robert B. Asen, Northwestern University. “Imagining the Poor: Argument and Imagery in Welfare Policy Discourse, 1980-1996,” (G. Thomas Goodnight, advisor).
- Troy A. Murphy, University of Pittsburgh. “Rhetoric and Democracy: An Inquiry into the Potential for Citizenship Reclaimed,” (Thomas Kane, advisor).
- Amy I. Nathanson, University of Wisconsin. “The Immediate and Cumulative Effects of Television Mediation on Children’s Aggression,” (Joanne Cantor, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Xing Lu, Rhetoric in Ancient China, Fifth to Third Century B.C.E.: A Comparison with Classical Greek Rhetoric (University of South Carolina Press, 1998).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Lisa Flores
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Linda M. Park-Fuller
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Kirk W. Fuoss
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Carolyn Calloway-Thomas
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Bruce E. Gronbeck