How to start and maintain a chapter
Student Communication clubs must be affiliated with a two- or four-year college or university, subscribe to the purpose of NCASC, and be officially recognized by their educational institutions.
To start a chapter, please complete the NCASC Chapter Application. A new chapter fee of $100 is required, which covers the cost of the chapter charter and the chapter's first year of dues.
Annual club renewals are due on January 2 each year. The renewal fee is $25.
How to join your local club
Each club designates its own guidelines for accepting student members based on grade point average, number of Communication credits, etc. NCA has no national requirements for student members. Please consult with your local chapter leaders for details about your institution’s club membership requirements.
Benefits of Membership
Each year, there will be a national meeting for NCA Student Clubs at the NCA Annual Convention.
Chapters receive the following:
- A guidebook for advisors
- A customizable membership certificate form
- Eligibility for Club of the Year Award
- Representation (one vote per chapter) at the annual NCASC meeting at NCA’s Annual Convention.
Student members receive the following:
- Eligibility for Top Member Paper Award
- Voting rights in local chapter
Faculty Advisor Responsibilities
- Each student club must have a faculty advisor who is indicated on the chapter application. The advisor will receive all NCASC-related communications from NCA. Clubs must inform NCA if there is a change in advisor.
- The selection of the faculty advisor is the responsibility of the host institution. Each campus is to determine if and how advisors will be compensated for their efforts.
- The faculty advisor should ensure that the campus club carries out the NCASC purpose through development and implementation of relevant activities, fulfills its financial responsibilities to NCA, and fulfills its responsibilities as required by the local institution. The advisor is also responsible for submitting an annual student membership list to NCA.
Faculty Advisory Board
- An NCASC Faculty Advisory Board is elected to assist the National Office in developing convention programs and other programmatic initiatives and granting national awards.
- The NCASC Faculty Advisory Board, consisting of four elected members, shall be elected by the advisors of NCA student clubs who are in attendance at the annual business meeting which is held in conjunction with NCA’s Annual Convention. Nominations will be taken on the floor of the meeting. Advisors must be present to be elected.
- The election of the Faculty Advisory Board shall be by plurality vote, with the top vote-getting candidates, equal to the number of open positions, elected to the board.
- Members will serve terms of two years, with two new board members elected each year.
- Vacancies will be filled with an appointment by NCA in consultation with the rest of the Faculty Advisory Board members.