University of Colorado, Department of Communication
The Department of Communication at the University of Colorado at Boulder is a vibrant community of scholars who share a commitment to excellence and innovation in communication research and teaching. The department offers programs leading to bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees with emphases in organizational communication, discourse and society, and rhetoric. Graduate students may pursue research within one of these areas or craft individualized programs of study that cut across the areas and combine humanistic and social scientific methods.
- Community & Social Interaction
- Organizational Communication
- Rhetoric & Culture
NRC Assessment of Research-Doctorate Programs
- #24 of 83 programs in Research Output
- #40 of 83 programs in Diversity
Allen, et al., 2012
- #14 of 60 programs by Number of Citations
- Top Ten Research Program in 21 of 99 Research Areas
QS World University Rankings--Communication & Media Studies
- #101-150 of 200 World Universities
- Personal Statement.
- Transcripts/GRE Scores.
- Three letters of reference
- Example of scholarly writing.
- TOEFL Scores (for international applicants).
- A Financial Statement (for international applicants).
- Associate Professor John Ackerman, Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University
- Professor Karen Ashcraft, Ph.D., University of Colorado
- Associate Professor David Boromisza-Habashi, Ph.D., University of Massachusetts
- Assistant Joelle Cruz, Ph.D., Texas A&M University
- Associate Professor Lisa Flores, Ph.D., University of Georgia
- Professor Lawrence R. Frey, Ph.D., University of Kansas
- Assistant Professor Laurie Gries, Ph.D., Syracuse University
- Assistant Professor Jody Jahn, Ph.D., University of California, Santa Barbara
- Associate Professor Matt Koschmann, Ph.D., University of Texas
- Professor Timothy Kuhn, Ph.D., Arizona State University
- Assistant Professor Tiara Na'puti, Ph.D., University of Texas
- Associate Professor Phaedra Pezzullo, Ph.D., University of North Carolina
- Assistant Professor Natasha Shrikant, Ph.D., University of Massachusetts
- Professor Peter Simonson, Ph.D., University of Iowa
- Assistant Professor Leah Sprain, Ph.D., University of Washington
- Associate Professor Ted Striphas, Ph.D., University of North Carolina
- Professor Bryan C. Taylor, Ph.D., University of Utah
- Professor Karen Tracy, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
- Associate Professor Cindy H. White, Ph.D., University of Arizona
NCA Awards Received by Faculty and Students, 2000-present
- Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship, 2000
- Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2001
- Golden Anniversary Monograph Award, 2000, 2013
- Cushman Memorial Award, 2013
- Winans-Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address, 2013