University of California-Santa Barbara, Department of Communication
The UCSB Department of Communication is internationally known for its research and education in communication processes and effects. Our mission is to provide theoretically motivated, innovative, and rigorous research, teaching, and service. We help students, researchers, and professionals understand how communication is developed, interpreted, and exchanged to inform, influence, and connect across a wide range of social contexts and cultures.
- Interpersonal & Intergroup Communication
- Media Communication
- Organizational Communication
Neuendorf, et al., 2007
- #13 of 28 Communication Doctoral Degree Programs
NRC Assessment of Research-Doctorate Programs
- #7 of 83 programs in Research Output
- #60 of 83 programs in Diversity
Allen, et al., 2012
- #2 of 60 programs by Number of Citations
- Top Ten Research Program in 48 of 99 Research Areas
- Online application.
- Statement of purpose; Personal achievements/contributions; Resume/CV.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- GRE (for all) and TOEFL (for applicants whose native language is not English) Scores.
- Professor Tamara Afifi, Ph.D., University of Nebraska
- Professor Walid Afifi, Ph.D., University of Arizona
- Professor Norah Dunbar, Ph.D., University of Arizona
- Professor Andrew Flanagin, Ph.D., University of Southern California
- Professor Jennifer Gibbs, Ph.D., University of Southern California
- Professor Howard Giles, Ph.D., University of Bristol
- Assistant Professor Jennifer Kam, Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University
- Professor Daniel Linz, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
- Professor Dana Mastro, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Assistant Professor Andy Merolla, Ph.D., Ohio State University
- Professor Miriam Metzger, Ph.D., University of Southern California
- Associate Professor Karen Myers, Ph.D., Arizona State University
- Professor Robin Nabi, Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
- Professor W. James Potter, Ph.D., Florida State University
- Associate Professor Scott Reid, Ph.D., University of Queensland
- Professor Ronald E. Rice, Ph.D., Stanford University
- Professor Cynthia Stohl, Ph.D., Purdue University
- Professor Michael Stohl, Ph.D., Northwestern University
- Professor Rene Weber, Ph.D., Berlin University of Technology
NCA Awards Received by Faculty and Students, 2000-present
- Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship, 2012
- Knapp Award in Interpersonal Communication, 2009
- Kibler Memorial Award, 2008
- Becker Distinguished Service Award, 2012