University of California-San Diego, Department of Communication
The Ph.D. Program in Communication at UCSD is known worldwide as a center of innovative scholarship. Among the distinctive characteristics of the program are: 1) Broad interdisciplinary training, linking the study of communication with theoretical currents across the social sciences and humanities; 2) A blending of "critical" and "empirical" traditions in communication scholarship, and a reputation for producing firmly grounded research on issues related to power, inequality, democracy and social change; 3) Methodological diversity, with particular strength in the use of historical, ethnographic, comparative and interpretive methods; 4) An emphasis on the unity of theory and practice, and an opportunity for graduate students to combine research scholarship and media production; 5) A strong global focus; and 6) A strong commitment to diversity in the student body and in the focus of our research.
- Communication & Culture
- Communication and the Person
- Communication as a Social Force
- Media Practice
NRC Assessment of Research-Doctorate Programs
- #12 of 83 programs in Research Output
- #5 of 83 programs in Diversity
Allen, et al., 2012
- #53 of 60 programs by Number of Citations
- Top Ten Research Program in 2 of 99 Research Areas
QS World University Rankings--Communication & Media Studies
- #43 of 200 World Universities
- Application for Graduate Admission.
- Transcripts from each institution attended.
- Official scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- Non-refundable application fee.
- At least three letters of recommendation.
- Applicants are required to send copies of term papers, journal articles, or other examples of their intellectual work.
- Assistant Professor Patty Ahn, Ph.D., University of Southern California
- Associate Professor Morana Alač, Ph.D., University of California, San Diego
- Associate Professor Patrick Anderson, Ph.D., University of California
- Associate Professor Boatema Boateng, Ph.D., University of Illinois
- Associate Professor Angela Booker, Ph.D., Stanford University
- Assistant Professor Matilde Córdoba Azcárate, Ph.D., Universidad Completense de Madrid
- Professor Zeinabu Davis, M.F.A., UCLA
- Assistant Professor Fernando Domínguez Rubio, Ph.D., University of Cambridge
- Associate Professor Gary Fields, Ph.D., University of California
- Associate Professor Kelly Gates, Ph.D., University of Illinois
- Associate Professor Brian Goldfarb, Ph.D., University of Rochester
- Professor Daniel C. Hallin, Ph.D., University of California
- Professor Valerie Hartouni, Ph.D., University of California, Santa Cruz
- Professor Robert Horwitz, Ph.D., Brandeis University
- Assistant Professor Lilly Irani, Ph.D., University of California, Irvine
- Assistant Professor Shawna Kidman, Ph.D., University of Southern California
- Professor Carol Padden, Ph.D., University of California, San Diego
- Associate Professor David Serlin, Ph.D., New York University
- Assistant Professor Christo Sims, Ph.D., University of California
- Professor Stefan Tanaka, Ph.D., University of Chicago
- Associate Professor Olga Vásquez, Ph.D., Stanford University
- Associate Professor Elana Zilberg, Ph.D., University of Texas
NCA Awards to Faculty and Students, 2000-present
- Diamond Anniversary Book Award, 2005