Temple University, School of Media & Communication
The media & communication doctoral program at Temple University is an interdisciplinary program based in the School of Media and Communication. Temple's faculty and students conduct communication research on a wide range of topics, especially in the areas of globalization, new media, cultural studies, and media effects. The award-winning faculty members, drawn from all four academic departments in the School, are active scholars with international reputations. Temple's students regularly present their research at communication and other conferences, publish their work in respected journals, and win national awards for graduate-student teaching.
Temple University is a Carnegie "Doctoral University: Highest Research Activity." From 2010-2014, Temple University conferred 25 doctorates in Communication.
- New Media
- Cultural Studies
- Media Effects
NRC Assessment of Research-Doctorate Programs
- #29 of 83 programs in Research Output
- #13 of 83 programs in Diversity
- Top Ten Research Program in 12 of 99 Research Areas
QS World University Rankings--Communication & Media Studies
- #101-150 of 200 World Universities
- The applicant’s previous degree preparations and grade point averages.
- Performance on the Graduate Record Examinations (GREs).
- Letters of recommendation.
- Honors and scholarly achievements.
- Very importantly, the convergence of the applicant’s abilities and research interests with those of available faculty mentors.
- Professor Geoffrey Baum, Ph.D., University Utah
- Professor Deborah Cai, Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Assistant Professor Brian Creech, Ph.D., University of Georgia
- Associate Professor Fabienne Darling-Wolf, Ph.D., University of Iowa
- Associate Professor Jan Fernback, Ph.D., University of Colorado
- Professor Edward L. Fink, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
- Assistant Professor Bruce Hardy, Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
- Professor Lance Holbert, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
- Professor Tom Jacobson, Ph.D., University of Washington
- Professor Tricia Jones, Ph.D., Ohio State University
- Professor Carolyn Kitch, Ph.D., Temple University
- Assistant Professor Lauren Kogen, Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
- Assistant Professor Magda Konieczna, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
- Assistant Professor Heather LaMarre, Ph.D., Ohio State University
- Associate Professor Matthew Lombard, Ph.D., Stanford University
- Associate Professor Michael Maynard, Ph.D., Rutgers University
- Assistant Professor Logan Molyneux, Ph.D., University of Texas
- Professor Nancy Morris, Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
- Associate Professor Patrick Murphy, Ph.D., Ohio University
- Assistant Professor Wazhmah Osman, Ph.D., New York University
- Associate Professor Donnalyn Pompper, Ph.D., Temple University
- Associate Professor Hector Postigo, Ph.D., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Professor Cornelius Pratt, Ph.D., University of Minnesota
- Assistant Professor Adrienne Shaw, Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
- Assistant Professor Sherry Yu, Ph.D., Simon Fraser University
NCA Awards Received by Faculty and Students, 2000-present
- Cushman Memorial Award, 2015