Colorado State University, Department of Communication Studies
The Department of Communication Studies at Colorado State University is a collaborative community that creates a cadre of scholars and practitioners capable of engaging with academic and professional communities to meet the challenges of our increasingly interdependent and globally diverse social worlds. Our doctoral program offers a rigorous scholarly experience with maximum flexibility.
- Candidates develop programs of study tailored to their unique professional goals, choosing courses from our three departmental specializations.
- Doctoral students teach a variety of undergraduate courses, and they are mentored by acclaimed scholars engaged in leading-edge research.
- We have distinctive programmatic features that you won’t find anywhere else in the nation, including the Center for Public Deliberation and the ACT Human Rights Film Festival.
- We train students as scholars, practitioners, and professionals who are well-prepared for the academic job market and skilled at translating their research for diverse civic and professional audiences.
- Rhetoric and Civic Engagement
- Relational and Organizational Studies
- Media and Visual Culture
- Top Tier Research Program in 21 Research Areas
- Online Application
- Statement of Purpose
- GRE Scores
- Three letters of reference
- Writing Sample
- Professor Karrin Vasby Anderson, Ph.D., Indiana University
- Professor Eric Aoki, Ph.D., University of Washington
- Professor Carl Burgchardt, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
- Professor Martín Carcasson, Ph.D., Texas A&M University
- Associate Professor Hye Seung Chung, Ph.D., U.C.L.A
- Associate Professor Scott Diffrient, Ph.D., U.C.L.A
- Assistant Professor Thomas R. Dunn, Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh
- Assistant Professor Evan Elkins, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
- Assistant Professor Meara Faw, Ph.D., University of Washington
- Associate Professor Katie Gibson, Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University
- Assistant Professor Kit Hughes, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
- Assistant Professor Julia Khrebtan-Hörhager, Ph.D., University of Denver
- Assistant Professor Katherine Knobloch, Ph.D., University of Washington
- Assistant Professor Ziyu Long, Ph.D., Purdue University
- Assistant Professor Nick Marx, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
- Assistant Professor Allison Prasch, Ph.D., University of Minnesota
- Associate Professor Elizabeth Williams, Ph.D., Purdue University
NCA Awards Received by Faculty and Students, 2000-present
- Stephen E. Lucas Debut Publication Award, 2011
- Golden Anniversary Monograph Award, 2012, 2017
- Winans-Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address, 2014