2011 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Michael E. Roloff, Northwestern University
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- David A. Yastremski
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- J. Dan Rothwell, Cabrillo College
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Cynthia Berryman-Fink
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship or Distinguished Service in Family Communication
- Tamara Afifi, University of California, Santa Barbara
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Malcolm Parks & Kory Floyd, “Making Friends in Cyberspace.” Journal of Communication 46 (1996): 80-97.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- Marwan Kraidy, Reality Television and Arab Politics: Contention in Public Life (Cambridge University Press, 2010).
Donald P. Cushman Memorial Award
- Katie Margavio Striley, Ohio University, "Last One Picked in Gym: Reclaiming Narrative Voice in Gifted Children's Stories of Ostracism"
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Robert C. Rowland
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Michael Waltman and John Haas, The Communication of Hate (Peter Lang, 2010).
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Joann Keyton
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Michael Serazio, University of Pennsylvania. “Your Ad Here: The Cool Sell of Guerrilla Marketing,” (Barbie Zelizer, advisor).
- Allison M. Scott, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. “Family Conversations About End-of-Life Health Decisions,” (John P. Caughlin, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Bradford Vivian, Public Forgetting: The Rhetoric and Politics of Beginning Again (The Pennsylvania State University Press, 2010).
James L. Golden Outstanding Student Essay in Rhetoric Award
- Katie Irwin, University of Illinois
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Jeremy Engels
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Elyse Lamm Pineau
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Bruce Henderson
- Harvey Young
Mark L. Knapp Award in Interpersonal Communication
- Michael E. Roloff
Stephen E. Lucas Debut Publication Award
- Thomas R. Dunn, “Remembering Matthew Shepard: Violence, Identity, and Queer Counterpublic Memories,” Rhetoric & Public Affairs 13 (2010): 611-652.
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Brian H. Spitzberg
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Orlando Taylor