2003 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Charles R. Conrad, Texas A&M University
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Debora Marsh
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- Shirlee Levin, College of Southern Maryland
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Wil A. Linkugel
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship or Distinguished Service in Family Communication
- Thomas J. Socha, Old Dominion University
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Austin S. Babrow, “Communication and Problematic Integration: Understanding Diverging Probability and Value, Ambiguity, Ambivalence, and Impossibility.” Communication Theory 2 (1992): 95-130.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- Mary Douglas Vavrus, Postfeminist News: Political Women in Media Culture. (SUNY Press, 2002).
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Roderick P. Hart
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Matthew Bunker, Critiquing Free Speech: First Amendment Theory and the Challenge of Interdisciplinarity (Lawrence Erlbaum, 2001).
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Harold L. Goodall, Jr.
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- James Jerry Kimble, University of Maryland. “Mobilizing the Home Front: War Bonds, Morale, and the U.S. Treasury's Domestic Propaganda Campaign, 1942-1945,” (Shawn J. Parry-Giles, advisor).
- Derek Goldman, Northwestern University. “The Politics and Poetics of Adaptation: Leon Forrest's Divine Days,” (Dwight Conquergood, advisor).
- David Winterstein, University of Washington. “Language and Media in the Promotion of the Breton Cultural Identity in the European Union,” (Nancy K. Rivenburgh, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Kirt H. Wilson, The Reconstruction Desegregation Debate: The Politics of Equality and Rhetoric of Place, 1870-75 (Michigan State University Press, 2003).
James L. Golden Outstanding Student Essay in Rhetoric Award
- Allison Gleghorn, Missouri State University
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Garth R. Pauley
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Ruth Laurion Bowman
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Kristin Langellier
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Peter A. Andersen
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Jody Nyquist