1997 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- James R. Andrews, Indiana University
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- No award given
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- Rex W. Gaskill, Normandale Community College
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Jane Blankenship
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Outstanding Scholarship or Distinguished Service in Family Communication
- Mary Ann Fitzpatrick, University of Wisconsin
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Michael Osborn, “Rhetorical Depiction.” In Form, Genre, and the Study of Political Discourse, edited by Herbert W. Simons & Aram A. Aghazarian (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1986), 79-107.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- Robert P. Newman, Truman and Hiroshima Cult. (Michigan State University Press, 1995).
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Thomas W. Benson
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Margaret A. Blanchard, “The Twilight of the First Amendment Age?” Communication Law and Policy 1 (1996): 329-365.
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Patricia Hayes Andrews
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Charles H. Raphael, Northwestern University, “Investigated Reporting: Political-Economic, Representational, and Regulatory Conflicts Over Television Documentary, 1960-1975,” (Rick Maxwell, advisor).
- Angela J. Latham, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. “Performance Rights: A Historical Performance Ethnography of Contested Displays by American Women, 1920-1930,” (Peter Davis, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Bonnie J. Dow, Prime-time Feminism: Television, Media Culture, and the Women’s Movement Since 1970 (University of Pennsylvania Press, 1996).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Mari Boor Tonn
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Paul C. Edwards
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Judith A. Hamera
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Anita Taylor
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- James W. Chesebro