1996 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Lyndrey A. Niles, Howard University
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Morris E. Snively
Michael and Suzanne Osborn Community College Outstanding Educator Award
- Deborah Hefferin, Broward College
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Joan E. Leininger
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Malcolm R. Parks, “Ideology in Interpersonal Communication: Off the Couch and Into the World.” Communication Yearbook 5 (1982): 79-107.
Diamond Anniversary Book Award
- Paul Messaris, Visual “Literacy”: Image, Mind and Reality. (Westview Press, 1994).
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- No Award Given
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Susan Drucker and Gary Gumpert, “Freedom and Liability in Cyberspace: Media Metaphors, and Paths of Regulation,” Free Speech Yearbook 33 (1995): 49-64.
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Donald P. Cushman
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Leah N. Ceccarelli, Northwestern University. “A Rhetoric of Interdisciplinary Inspirational Discourse: The Use of Polysemy in Dobzhansky’s ‘Genetics and the Origin of Species’ and Schroedinger’s ‘What Is Life?’,” (Michael Leff, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Robert Hariman, Political Style: The Artistry of Power (University of Chicago Press, 1995).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Mark L. McPhail
Leslie Irene Coger Award for Distinguished Performance
- Annette Martin
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Mary Frances HopKins
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Jody Nyquist
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- John Waite Bowers