1993 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Charles J. Stewart, Purdue University
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Adrian W. Frana
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- Carmendale Fernandes
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Linda L. Putnam, “The Interpretive Perspective: An Alternative to Functionalism.” Communication and Organizations: An Interpretive Approach, edited by Linda L. Putnam & Michael E. Pacanowsky (Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, 1983), 31-54.
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- James R. Andrews
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Peter E. Kane, Murder, Courts, and the Press (Southern Illinois University Press, 1992).
Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship
- Donald P. Cushman
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Kathryn L. Greene, University of Georgia, “Egocentrism, Message Explicitness, and AIDS Messages Directed Toward Adolescents: A Test of the Theory of Reasoned Action,” (Donald Rubin, advisor).
- Thomas N. Peters, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. “A Rhetorical Project for Understanding Scientific Change,” (Joseph W. Wenzel, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Robert P. Newman, Owen Lattimore and the "Loss" of China (University of California Press, 1992).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Suzanne M. Daughton
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Elizabeth C. Fine
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Mark Knapp
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Dennis S. Gouran