1991 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Beverly D. Sypher,University of Kansas
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Kathy Oakland
Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Teaching Excellence Award
- W. Charles Redding
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- John M. Wiemann, “Explication and Text of a Model of Communication Competence.” Human Communication Research 3 (1977): 195-213.
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Karlyn Kohrs Campbell
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Raymond S. Rodgers, editor, “The Meaning of the First Amendment: 1791-1991,” Free Speech Yearbook 29 (1991).
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Barbara Louise Baker, University of Southern California. “Reaffirmation and Transformation of Gender in Popular Film: A Feminist Approach to Mythic Rhetoric,” (Walter Fisher, advisor).
- Bethami A. Dobkin, University of Massachusetts. “Tale of Terror: News Coverage of Terrorism and the Construction of Public Crisis,” (Jane Blankenship, advisor).
- Charles Alan Taylor, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. “The Rhetorical Construction of Science: Demarcation as Rhetorical Practice,” (Joseph W. Wenzel, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- David Zarefsky, Lincoln, Douglas and Slavery: In the Crucible of Public Debate (University of Chicago Press, 1990).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- James M. Farrell
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Beverly Whitaker Long
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Bobby R. Patton
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Robert C. Jeffrey