1990 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- George R. Armstrong, Bradley University
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Carolyn J. Coakley
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Thomas B. Farrell, “Knowledge, Consensus and Rhetorical Theory.” Quarterly Journal of Speech 62 (1976): 1-14.
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Kathleen H. Jamieson
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Carolyn A. Marvin, “Bad Attitudes, Unnatural Acts,” Free Speech Yearbook 28 (1990): 1-7.
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Mark A. Pollock, Northwestern University. “A Reconsideration of the Prospects for Rhetoric in Hannah Arendt's Political Philosophy,” (Thomas B. Farrell, advisor).
- Rebecca S. Bjork, University of Southern California. “The Strategic Defense Initiative: Symbolic Containment of the Nuclear Threat,” (Thomas A. Hollihan, advisor).
- Michael W. Salvador, University of Utah. “Coming to Terms with Consumption: The Rhetoric of American Consumer Unrest,” (Malcolm O. Sillars, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- John Rodden, The Politics of Literary Reputation: The Making of “St. George” Orwell (Oxford University Press, 1989).
- Karlyn Kohrs Campbell, Man Cannot Speak for Her (Praeger, 1989).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Stephen H. Browne
Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies
- Frank J. Galati
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Phillip K. Tompkins
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Ernest G. Bormann