1989 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Lois Einhorn, SUNY Binghamton
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Melissa L. Beall
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Gerald Miller, Frank Boster, Michael Roloff, & David Seibold, “Compliance-Gaining Message Strategies: A Typology and Some Findings Concerning Effects of Situational Differences.” Communication Monographs 44 (1977): 27-51.
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Robert L. Scott
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Stephen A. Smith, “Promoting Political Expression: The Import of Three Constitutional Provisions,” Free Speech Yearbook 27 (1989): 1-32.
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- James Lee Kauffman, Indiana University. “Selling Space: The Kennedy Administration, the Media, and Congressional Funding for Project Apollo, 1961-1963,” (J. Michael Hogan, advisor).
- Cynthia Ann Hoffner, University of Wisconsin. “The Effects of Forewarning of a Threatening Event and Its Successful Resolution on Children's Emotional Responses to a Televised Film Sequence,” (Joanne Cantor, advisor).
- Anthony Edward Schiappa, Jr., Northwestern University, “Protagoras and ‘Logos’: A Study in Early Greek Rhetorical Theory,” (Leland M. Griffin, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Kathleen Hall Jamieson, Eloquence in an Electronic Age: The Transformation of Political Speechmaking (Oxford University Press, 1988).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Thomas M. Lessl
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Mary Margaret Roberts
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Samuel L. Becker