1988 NCA Award Winners
Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
- Dan F. Hahn, Queens College
Marcella E. Oberle Award for Outstanding Teaching in Grades K-12
- Craig R. Streff
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- L. Edna Rogers & Richard V. Farace, “Analysis of Relational Communication in Dyads: New Measurement Procedures.” Human Communication Research 1 (1975): 222-239.
Douglas W. Ehninger Distinguished Rhetorical Scholar Award
- Walter R. Fisher
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- R. Brian Attig, “How and Why Social Science Research Can Inform the Pornography Debate,” Free Speech Yearbook 26 (1987): 125-134.
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- John Rodden, University of Virginia. “The Politics of Literacy Reputation: The ‘Making’ and ‘Claiming’ of ‘St. George’ Orwell,” (Walter H. Sokel, advisor).
- Diane Marie Badzinski, University of Wisconsin. “Developmental Differences in Children’s Inferential Performance as a Function of Message Intensity,” (Joseph Cappella, advisor).
- Moya Ann Ball, University of Minnesota. “A Descriptive and Interpretive Analysis of the Small Group Communication of Presidents Kennedy, Johnson, and their Key Advisors Concerning the Decisions from January 1961 to July 1965 to Expand the Vietnam War,” (Ernest Bormann, advisor).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Roderick P. Hart
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Peter J. Marston
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Jane Blankenship
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Theodore Clevenger Jr.