1986 NCA Award Winners
Charles H. Woolbert Research Award
- Daniel O’Keefe, “Logical Empiricism & The Study of Human Communication.” Speech Monographs 42 (1975): 169-183.
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Matthew Seeger, “Freedom of Speech and Institutional Restraint,” Free Speech Yearbook 25 (1986): 11-20.
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- George Cheney, Purdue University. “Speaking of Who ‘We’ Are: The Development of the U. S. Catholic Bishops’ Pastoral Letter ‘The Challenge of Peace’ as a Case Study in Identity, Organization, and Rhetoric,” (Phillip K. Tompkins, advisor).
- James Jasinski, Northwestern University. “Rhetorical Practice and Its Visions of the Public in the Ratification Debate of 1787-1788,” (Thomas B. Farrell, advisor).
- Della Pollock, Northwestern University. “Brecht and Expressionism: An Assessment of Rhetorical Continuity,” (Frank Galati, advisor).
Golden Anniversary Book Award
- Joshua Meyrowitz, No Sense of Place: The Impact of Electronic Media on Social Behavior (Oxford University Press, 1985).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- J. Michael Hogan, The Panama Canal in American Politics: Domestic Advocacy and the Evolution of Policy (Southern Illinois University Press, 1986).
- David Zarefsky, President Johnson’s War on Poverty: Rhetoric and History (University of Alabama Press, 1986).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Lester Olson
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- Larry L. Barker
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Wayne Brockriede