1980 NCA Award Winners
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- William Bailey, “The Supreme Court and Communication Theory: Contrasting Models of Speech Efficacy,” Free Speech Yearbook 19 (1980): 1-15.
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- James Aune, Northwestern University. “Dialectical Dilemmas: Herbert Marcuse’s Philosophy of Communication,” (Thomas B. Farrell, advisor).
- Marshall Poole, University of Wisconsin. “A Test of Four Models of Decision Development in Small Groups,” (Joseph Cappella & Dean E. Hewes, advisors).
Golden Anniversary Book Award
- Barnett Baskerville, The People’s Choice: The Orator in American Society (University Press of Kentucky, 1979).
- Gerald R. Miller and Norman E. Fontes, Videotape on Trial: A View from the Jury Box (Sage, 1979).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- George Kennedy, Classical Rhetoric and its Christian and Secular Tradition from Ancient to Modern Times (University of North Carolina Press, 1980).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Lois Einhorn
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- James McCroskey
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- J. Jeffery Auer