1979 NCA Award Winners
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Nickie Fleener, “‘The Worst Case of Racial Equality He Ever Saw’: The Supreme Court, Motion Picture Censorship, and the Color Line,” Free Speech Yearbook 18 (1979): 1-15.
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- Kathleen Reardon, University of Massachusetts. “Conversational Deviance: A Developmental Perspective,” (Vernon Cronen, advisor).
- Joseph Folger, University of Wisconsin. “The Communicative Indicants of Power, Dominance and Submission,” (Joseph Cappella, advisor).
- Donald Rubin, University of Minnesota. “Development in Syntactic and Strategic Aspects of Audience Adaptation Skills in Written Persuasive Communication.” (Gene L. Piche, advisor).
Golden Anniversary Book Award
- Charles R. Gruner, Understanding Laughter: The Workings of Wit & Humor (Nelson Hall, 1978).
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Don Burks, ed. Rhetoric, Philosophy and Literature: An Exploration (Purdue University Press, 1978).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Kurt W. Ritter
Robert J. Kibler Memorial Award
- John Bowers
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Douglas Ehninger