1978 NCA Award Winners
Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression
- Stephen A. Smith, “Freedom of Expression in the Confederate States of America,” Free Speech Yearbook 17 (1978): 17-37.
Gerald R. Miller Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Awards
- James Lee Applegate, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. “Four Investigations of the Relationship between Social Cognitive Development and Person-Centered Regulative and Interpersonal Communication,” (Jesse G. Delia, advisor).
- Norman D. Elliott, University of Iowa. “The General Relationship between Language and Cognition in the Developing Child,” (James J. Bradac, advisor).
- John R. Lyne, University of Wisconsin. “C. S. Pierce on Rhetoric and Communication,” (Lloyd Bitzer, advisor).
Golden Anniversary Book Award
- No award given
James A. Winans-Herbert A. Wichelns Memorial Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Rhetoric and Public Address
- Kurt W. Ritter and James R. Andrews, The American Ideology: Reflections of the Revolution in American Rhetoric (Speech Communication Association, 1978).
Karl R. Wallace Memorial Award
- Richard Cherwitz
Samuel L. Becker Distinguished Service Award
- Waldo Braden