2015 Chairs' Summer Institute
June 26-28, 2015, Washington, DC
NCA Chairs’ Summer Institute (CSI) is back for 2015.
The third NCA Chairs’ Summer Institute will
focus on the challenges of assessment and accountability, with an emphasis on
how chairs provide leadership in meeting these challenges. Along with
opportunities for open discussion and lively exchange, the CSI will include
programming specifically addressed to the twin concerns of assessment and
accountability as these are operating in the contemporary college and
university. The CSI will also consider opportunities and possibilities for meeting the challenges of assessment and accountability, including discussions of the value and role of learning outcomes, curricular assessment and re-design, the role of the Communication major in the overall college/university degree specifications profile, and the assessment of research and scholarly output.
Registration for the 2015 CSI is now open. The cost to attend the CSI is $500.00 and includes three nights’
accommodations (Friday, Saturday and Sunday), an opening reception, breakfast
and lunch and free Internet at Washington, DC’s St. Gregory Hotel.
Attendance is capped at 30 and registrations are accepted on a first come-first served basis. The final registration deadline is April 15, 2015. Registration forms are available here (Word) (PDF).
Mail, fax, or email form to Trevor Parry-Giles,
NCA, 1765 N Street, NW, Washington, DC, 20036; FAX: 202-464-4600; email@example.com.
2013 NCA Chairs' Summer Institute
NCA's Second Annual Chairs' Summer Institute was held at the St. Gregory Hotel in Washington, D.C., June 28-30, 2013. Our theme was Building Connections, Creating Community: Best Practices for the Communication Department Chair, and the institute featured presentations by a number of speakers, including Illinois State's Cheri Simonds on the Basic Course, Loyola Marymount Dean Bryant Keith Alexander with the keynote for the conference, and Maryland's Linda Aldoory along with NHA's Stephen Kidd on the benefits of interdisciplinary inquiry. Read more about the 2013 CSI here.
2012 NCA Chairs' Summer Institute
Approximately 30 department chairs and heads from around the United States and Canada gathered in Washington, D.C., June 22-24, for the first NCA Chairs’ Summer Institute to discuss new and creative ways of “Raising a Program Profile.”
In discussions and presentations, the chairs considered both the rationale for raising a program’s profile as well as specific strategies and tactics to employ at their home departments and universities to bring about an increased program profile.
Highlights from the CSI include:
- A panel of speakers that included Bill Hooke from the American Meteorological Society, Barbara Kline Pope from the National Academies, and Monique Mitchell Turner from the Department of Preventive and Community Health at George Washington University discussed reaching “Beyond COMM” in pursuit of interdisciplinary connections and partnerships. You can read Dr. Hooke’s reflections about the role and power of communication based on his experience at CSI at his blog.
- A presentation from Chancellor Charles R. Bantz of Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis that reflected on the unique and important dimensions of the Communication discipline relevant to departmental promotion efforts. You can read an article from Chancellor Bantz on related themes from the November 2010 Spectra here.
- Panels on specific strategies for departmental promotion that featured speakers from the National Office, NCA Chairs’ Advisory Council member Carl Cates & Jon A. Hess, and a university relations specialist. The presentations from these panels are available for NCA members in the Chairs’ Corner.
Download the program guide here.
Participants at the 2012 NCA Chairs’ Summer Institute included:
- Allison Ainsworth, Gainesville State College
- Jim Aucoin, University of South Alabama
- Michael Butterworth, Bowling Green State University
- Candace Calloway, Wiley College
- Jim Cantrill, Northern Michigan University
- Qingwen Dong, University of the Pacific
- J. Dean Farmer, Campbell University
- Glynis Fitzgerald, Central Connecticut State University
- Carlnita Greene, Nazareth College of Rochester
- Harry Haines, Montclair State University
- William Harpine, University of South Carolina-Aiken
- Pamela Hayward, Augusta State University
- Michael R. Kramer, St. Mary’s College
- Myrna Kuehn, Clarion University
- Wenshu Lee, Loyola Marymount University
- Shawn D. Long, University of North Carolina-Charlotte
- Matt Martin, West Virginia University
- Steve McDowell, Florida State University
- Mark Meister, North Dakota State University
- Alfred Mueller, Mount St. Mary’s College
- Michael Porter, University of Missouri
- Alexandra Richmond, Kwantlen Polytechnic University (Canada)
- Esther Rumsey, Sul Ross State University
- David Schneider, Saginaw Valley State University
- Larry Smith, Missouri Baptist University
- Brian Snee, Manhattanville College
- Charles H. Tardy, University of Southern Mississippi
- Regina Waters, Drury University
Contact Trevor Parry-Giles with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.